Is self-funding an EM programme worth the cost?

abby.yao

Is self-funding an EM programme worth the cost?

Post by abby.yao » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:21 pm

I received an email asking this question. It's not an easy one to answer. What if you are accepted into a programme without a scholarship?

The main point of contention is price vs value. If you had to pay for the programme, in addition to the living and travel expenses, it is a LOT of money, probably more than you can readily afford if you come from a developing country.

There are a few things one needs to figure out:
1. Do people who have taken the programme think it is worth that much for the learning aspect?
2. Factor in the earning potential wherever you plan to settle after graduation. Super important in case you borrow money or take out a loan to finance your study.
3. Consider the life experience. This is priceless. The chance to live and study for months at a time will shape your character and give you memories to last a lifetime.

Your thoughts? I'd like to know what you guys think, whether or not you've been in this situation.

coelom

Re: Is self-funding an EM programme worth the cost?

Post by coelom » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:32 am

The programs are also a factor. EM programs are not mainstream/traditional degrees, and are usually unusual or experimental. Another factor is academic reputation. It cannot be denied that Harvard, Oxford and Cambridge are all far more prestigious as compared to most participating institutions in EM programs.

I agree with the threadstarter. It's very difficult to decide. Success depends on how a person utilize the opportunities that come on his way. Whether it's EM program, or a more traditional Unviversity in other countries.