Your burning questions, answered

abby.yao

Your burning questions, answered

Post by abby.yao » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:14 am

This thread will be a Dear Abby of sorts. I receive dozens of emails every year about EM and I think some of them are the same questions you'd like answered, so I'm reposting some here without giving away the identities of the senders. Note that the responses reflect my opinion.

Should you have any questions of your own, please start a new topic here: viewforum.php?f=41&sid=63db71b462fd3fba9ffe96fb4ecc6117.

Thanks!
Last edited by abby.yao on Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

abby.yao

English language test and GMAT

Post by abby.yao » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:19 am

Good Evening!

I am a BS degree holder from the University of the Philippines Los Baños (UPLB) and currently completing my Master of Management major in Business Management also in UPLB. I saw a post in the UPLB Alumni Relations group about Erasmus Mundus Scholarship and I am interested in the International Master in Service Engineering (IMSE). I attempted to fill up the application form online however I stopped in the requirements part regarding English Language Competence and the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT). My understanding with those requirements is that I still need to take English proficiency exams and the GMAT. I would like to ask if I will still need to take those test in order to proceed with the application?

Thanks!

=====

Thanks for your email. If it is indicated that they are required, then you need to take those tests. You may want to inquire with the consortium if they are optional. These requirements vary per programme.

abby.yao

Fresh graduate

Post by abby.yao » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:26 am

I've been dreaming of the Erasmus Mundus Programme ever since a friend introduced it to me last year. In this light, I would like to inquire about the criteria for selection. Do you prefer people with more work experience? Do grades bear a huge weight? I only have a year and a summer left before I graduate and I would really like to maximize it.

=====

All of the factors you mentioned bear weight and there are probably others like intent that the selection committee consider. An application is pitted against others from around the world and as such, the chances of selection vary widely depending on strength of the pool of applicants for the year. That said, it may be possible for a fresh graduate to get the scholarship but it can be very difficult if the other candidates all have work experience, especially if they are related to the field of study.

My suggestion is for you to get some work experience first. Find out what you want to do and where your career will go. You may think you know this now, but being in the workforce will refine your ideas on this. Once you are able to say what you want with confidence, then you'll have a better chance of getting a place in the program, as well as better use for your postgraduate study.

Good luck!

abby.yao

EM without scholarship

Post by abby.yao » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:35 am

I am just wondering, if you do not apply for a scholarship, would you have any idea how much it would cost to go on Erasmus? Or can you only apply via-scholariship? I'm going to apply for a scholarship for sure but I want to be able to go on the program even if I do not get accepted for a scholarship. So do you have any ideas as to how much it might cost? And would you say that the application process is long or difficult? Was it worth it? :) Thanks so much!!

=====

Application is now more competitive than before due to the number of candidates, so I wouldn't say that it is easy. The application process takes from 3-6 months from the time you send your application.

Costs vary greatly from program to program as some of them are longer than the others and are in cities where it is more expensive than others. Tuition also varies greatly and the international student rate can be crazy. If I had to fund my studies, I would have needed PHP1 million at the exchange rate then just for tuition. The cost of living in London and Denmark is really high, so think it would cost PHP2 million in total.

My advice to you is to look at various scholarships, not just Erasmus. In case you don't get an Erasmus scholarship, it might be better for your wallet to do your studies at a single university, then just spend your breaks travelling rather than keep moving on an Erasmus program. It really depends on how much the tuition is and the cost of living there. Generally, southern Europe is cheaper than the north, west is more expensive than the east. Of course you should also consider than academic standing of the institution, but look into the quality of life in the city, as you will have free time to do other things aside from studying.

abby.yao

Letter of motivation

Post by abby.yao » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:42 am

On the letter of motivation, is there a template or format that I need to use? I've googled some sites and there are some variations out there. In your experience, what template did you use and can you please share with me your format?

Also, what should I put in my letter of motivation? Are they looking for any particular information about me?

Hope you can help.

Thanks very much in advance and Happy Holidays!

=====

Thank you for your email. There is no template for a motivation letter
because it really depends on what you want to say. Just keep it
structurally sound and error-free, and build a strong case for your
application. You should also tell them about your career path and
future intentions, which are in line with your further studies.

Good luck!

abby.yao

Shifting careers

Post by abby.yao » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:52 am

I hope this email finds you well.

I would like to ask your suggestions about which programs should I be applying (if I'm a good fit for certain programs because of my educational background and work experience). I'm a registered nurse by profession but currently I'm not anymore working in the hospital setting. I've worked in a private tertiary hospital for about three years. Do you recommend I apply for health related courses? Will they accept me most likely if I do so? Or the chances are the same if I apply for other programs?

=====

It's best to determine what you're most interested in and figure out why that is the programme for you. Only you can answer this. It will take some time and effort on your part to determine your purpose and your career path. Then you'll be ready to apply.

=====

Thanks for the quick response.
I asked because I'm planning to apply for the Tourism Management Program which I do not have any background of, so I was wondering if I will still have a good chance to be accepted for it despite having a different profession or career. Thanks!

=====

There are several factors that will determine your success in the application. Among them are your performance in your previous degree, recommendations (which should reflect your change of industry and your refernce's support of this), your personal intention in taking the programme, and the strength of the other applications for that intake. In total, you'll never know until you try.

It would help to show proof of your genuine interest, to show you're not in this just for the mobility in Europe. For example, attendance of online courses on the topic. Look up Coursera and other MOOCs and finish at least a few that are related to tourism. If you can get work experience in that field, that would be a plus, even if it's just shadowing a tour guide, interning as a travel agent or doing admin work for a tourism marketing organization. All these would help make up for what you lack.

Good luck!